Saturday, 3 September 2011

Things 15 & 16: Conferences and Advocacy

OK, I admit it, I have not done much in the realms of conferences and advocacy, and I must try harder. I did make it to the CILIP New Professionals Information Day and Conference in June, which I found very interesting and I recommend going to find out more about the profession and to meet other people.

I gave a presentation at the Oxford Trainees Showcase in 2010, which was not half as scary as I thought it would be. I also co-organised the Showcase, which turned out to be quite fun.

There is a lot of interesting material that has been written about library advocacy online, and I've just spent a very happy hour reading through the links provided on this week's Thing. I was particularly struck by the That's Not Online! Project. It's important to encourage people to look beyond what they can find on Google because I think there is a tendency head there before heading (if at all) to the catalogue, the bookshelves or the library's e-resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment