Sunday, 21 August 2011

Thing 12: Social Media

As well as sharing ideas, social media helps you learn from others. It's also a way of finding out about what's happening in the profession: I found out about the CILIP New Professionals Information Day because I saw it posted on a friend's Facebook page.

The disadvantages are that social media can feel impersonal and, for that reason, I'm not sure if it 'fosters a sense of community'. It's not the same as talking to someone in person. Claire is right to suggest that social media cannot replace face to face networking. It's different. It is possible to reach more people and discuss topics with more people through social media than would be possible through traditional face to face networking. CPD23 has given me access to a wide network of other library professionals which I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

It's also important to watch what you post online. The other disadvantage of social media is that, if you're not careful, something that has been posted online could affect your career. I was not really using social media to help my career before starting CPD23 - this blog had been abandoned - but I am now back writing on it and back on LinkedIn.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurel,

    I've just started 23 Things and am new to the whole social networking thing. I found you're reflections interesting. Some of the downsides of social media do need to be highlighted and you have provided quite a balanced assessment here.
    Good luck with your masters. I graduated from library school last September. I have two colleagues who are studying the distance learning MA at Aberystwth and it sounds like an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete