Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Week 7: Facebook

I've had Facebook for a while but I haven't really thought about it from a professional angle before.

The Bodleian Law Library uses Facebook to display its opening hours, address, contact details, a short history, details of the collections and the library's location. It uses the wall to detail changes to resources and opening hours and details of lectures in which its readers might be interested. By becoming a fan of the page, readers can be kept updated of new posts to the wall.

The Queen's College Library uses Facebook to display the same sort of information, but does some things slightly differently. The Information page is almost the same, except The Queen's College has detailed its collections alongside details about its history. It uses a RSS feed for details of new acquisitions and uses the wall to allow fans to leave comments about the library. There are details about accessing the library under 'boxes'. Strangely, events can be found under 'notes' and details of library closure during vacation is under 'events'.

I thought these articles explained the difference between pages and groups quite clearly: http://www.addicottweb.com/2009/01/marketing-your-business-on-facebook-group-or-page/ and http://www.myfastype.com/Blog/2009/04/21/facebook-groups-vs-facebook-pages-which-is-best/ and I agreed generally with the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment